Thursday 30 August 2018

Slug Salt Lava - Siaynoq (EP Reveiw)


Release date: August 11th 2018. Label: Self Released. Format: DD

Siaynoq – Tracklisting

1.Siaynoq 03:46
2.Hateland 02:59
3.Desert Fury 04:46
4.Repeat Slave Eternal 05:00
5.Eternity of Enemies 04:40

Members

Guitars and Vocals: Ersin Tas
Bass: Ataberk Angi.
Drums: Can Kurtoglu

Review

I originally thought Siaynoq was a Turkish word with some powerful deep meaning as Slug Salt Lava are from Turkey. However I realised that Siaynoq is actually from the classic science fiction series of novels of DUNE and in particular – God Emperor Of Dune.

I remember reading the original DUNE novels in my teenage years and confusing the hell out of me. So I’m always slightly worried when listening to records that are based on the DUNE mythology and concepts of the novel. However I have a job to do with Slug Salt Lava’s latest EP – Siaynoq.

Slug Salt Lava is a Post-Metal/Doom/Sludge/Stoner Metal band that creates a more experimental kind of music. The music never feels bogged down by the many different elements the band have included in their arsenal. The music is very progressive and direct with Slug Salt Lava adding a post-industrial rock/metal feel to their music as well.

The production is quite raw and intense at times but allows Slug Salt Lava to create heavy unflinching sounds with songs Siaynoq, Hateland, and Repeat Slave Eternal being the main standout songs on the EP. Obviously the lyrical content is based on the works of Frank Herbert but it’s the music and Ersin’s vocals that are the strongest parts of the EP.

The EP can be very melodic at times. Perhaps too melodic for it’s own good. However Slug Salt Lava do manage to play a heavy amount of progressive doom/sludge metal sounds.

My step-dad is Turkish and he knows what I currently do on the blog and sometimes tells me that “TURKEY DOESN’T HAVE ANY HEAVY METAL BANDS OF ANY KIND.” - Well now is the time I can tell him about Slug Salt Lava and they play some damn fine Doom/Sludge/Stoner Metal music.

I know there are other cool Hard Rock/Heavy Metal bands from Turkey. I haven’t had much dealings with them but if they are half as good as Slug Salt Lava then I need to revisit the Turkish Heavy Metal Scene again. (Though SÜLFÜR Ensemble are another excellent Doom/Sludge Metal band from Turkey that you should check out as well).

Anyway Siaynoq is a damn good release especially if you’re a fan of the DUNE mythology and Progressive Sludge/Stoner Metal as well.

Excellent and Highly Recommended.

Words by Steve Howe

Links: