Sunday 1 May 2022

Introduce Yourselves: Formation Ritual


What is the name of your band?

Formation Ritual

What is the genre of music that you play?

Our music is somewhere between stoner rock and traditional doom with some psych elements sprinkled in here and there. 


Can you give a brief history of the band of how it came together and where it is today?

My previous band had just called it quits and I had a bunch of songs ready to go that I had written to use with them. I was in the process of writing more tunes too. I wanted to get the songs out as quickly as possible so I decided to forge ahead on my own under a new project name, Formation Ritual. I enlisted the help of a longtime friend and collaborator Jose Perez to co-produce, engineer and drum on the record. Jose then recommended his friend Joe Mora to play bass. The resulting album is called The Shifting Dust and will be out on July 8th. Our first single, It Summons You, is already out streaming everywhere.

What can people expect from your music?

Musically, I try my best to create music that is heavy and memorable. I’m a fan of interesting melodies and atmosphere as well as song structures that create energy and dynamics. Lyrically, I like to bring in mysterious themes and imagery referencing ancient cultures and occult ideas but connect them to things going on in daily life so that they retain a personal vibe. There are a ton of bands in this scene that are doing such great music so there’s always new inspiration to draw from. 


What is the best release that folks should check out from your band?

The first single, It Summons You, was just released on 4/29. It’s available on Bandcamp and every other streaming platform.

Where can people find you on Social Media?

You can find Formation Ritual on Facebook, Instagram, and Bandcamp.