Saturday 1 June 2019

Yawning Man - Macedonian Lines (Album Review)


Release date: June 14th 2019. Label: Heavy Psych Sounds. Format: CD/DD/Vinyl

Macedonian Lines – Tracklisting

1. Virtual Funeral
2. Macedonian Lines
3. Melancholy Sadie
4. Bowie's Last Breath
5. I'm Not An Indian (But I Play One On TV)
6. I Make Weird Choices

Members

Gary Acre - guitar
Mario Lalli - bass guitar
Bill Stinson - drums

Review

So-Cal desert kings, Yawning Man, are back with a new album, 'Macedoninan Lines', and as always they push boundaries. The older I get the more I appreciate and embrace instrumental music, if done right. And Yawning Man are up there as a frontrunner in how to mesmerize and enchant their listeners in the best possible way, sans vocals. After all, the band has been around for a long time, so they know what they are doing.

As the first bar of opener ‘Virtual Funeral’ emanates from the speakers, Yawning Man has me hooked and they won’t let go. And that’s perfectly fine with me as I close my eyes and let the band sweep me away. It doesn’t take long before Gary Acre’s soothing and uplifting guitar tones starts to loosen me up, both physically and mentally. ‘Macedonian Lines’ picks right up while pushing the tempo upwards a touch. And by now, Mario Lalli’s bass guitar aides Acre’s guitar in burrowing into sore spots while alleviating ailments of any kind. Two songs in and all I want is to hit repeat so this beauty never stops. 

‘Melancholy Sadie’ takes a step back for a minute before launching me into a whole new plain, a whole new level of being. It might sound corny but this album, and other recordings of this ilk, should be used as medical treatment. Seriously, with this you need no medicine whatsoever. Just hit play, close your eyes and listen and absorb the resolve Yawning Man offers.

Bowie’s Last Breath’ is lead the way by a fuzzed-out bass line with a soaring, liberating guitar while Bill Stinson’s drumming is the heartbeat, which keeps you steady as you’re taken on an astral journey never before experienced. Beautiful! ‘I’m Not An Indian (But I Play One On TV) continues where ‘Bowie’s Last Breath’ left off but the rhythm section has taken a somewhat darker stance. Coupled with the dreamy guitar this amalgamation is nothing but wonderful. Closer ‘I Make Weird Choices’ begins with a wonderful soft bass riff which initiates our return back to reality as new, healed people thanks to the healers in Yawning Man.

This album has quickly been added to my go-to list when I need to change my ways, calm down or be uplifted, you name it. ‘Macedonian Lines’ is purely and simply the best, purest organic remedy anyone needs. Forget conventional treatment and all that mumbo jumbo, this is the real deal, people. And I can’t thank the band enough for….for being this amazingly good!

Words by Håkan Nyman

Thanks to Claire at Purple Sage PR for the promo. Macedonian Lines will be available to buy on CD/DD/Vinyl via Heavy Psych Sounds from June 14th 2019.

Links: