Friday 12 April 2024

Introduce Yourselves: Solnedgang


What is the name of your band?

Solnedgang

What is the genre of music that you play?

Post-rock/metal probably describes it best.

Can you give a brief history of the band of how it came together and where it is today?

Solnedgang is a one-man band and I (Jon) am originally from Norway, but I’ve been based in the UK since 2009. I had been playing, writing and recording just for fun for years and I got a bit bored of it all until I reached a point when I wasn't really even playing my guitar anymore. Then I got back into it at the end of 2022 and suddenly tapped into this well of inspiration, and I surprised myself with the quality (in my opinion) of the stuff I was writing. Trying to force myself to actually put some music out I came up with the name (which means ‘sunset’ in Norwegian) and set up a Bandcamp site. The feedback I've been getting has been truly amazing. I don't think I'll ever get a particularly big audience or anything, as instrumental music is still fairly niche, but just the fact that a few other people seem to like it makes it worthwhile to keep working on and releasing stuff and not doing it just for fun anymore.

What can people expect from your music?

Expect immersive, atmospheric and melodic instrumental rock drawing from a vast array of influences, most notably post-rock, post-metal, black metal and progressive rock/metal. My releases so far, and the upcoming album, have all been inspired by Norse mythology and I feel that comes across quite well in the music, despite it being instrumental.
\

What is the best release that folks should check out from your band?

My first single ‘Nornir’ is probably the best track to start with, and there is the Valkyrie EP as well. Check them out here:

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/1PD7uqkbQfqIQs7W5aAsYW
Bandcamp: https://solnedgang.bandcamp.com/
Or on www.solnedgang.co.uk

Where can people find you on Social Media?

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100089333672717
Instagram: https://instagram.com/solnedgang_music