Wednesday 3 April 2024

HIGH NOON KAHUNA Shares "Sidewalk Assassin" Off THIS PLACE IS HAUNTED - Out May 17th on Crucial Blast Records

High Noon Kahuna is a power trio of veteran heavy musicians from Frederick, Maryland, with Tim Otis on guitar (Admiral Browning), Brian Goad on Drums (Internal Void / The Larrys / Nagato), and Paul Cogle on Bass VI and Vocals (Black Blizzard / Vox Populi / Nagato / Slagstorm). These three gents have known each other for years and have always supported each other in their respective bands.

At the start of 2022, they were given a fortunate opportunity to jam together, which they seized with all hands. And jam, they did! When like-minded musicians converge, something magical happens. By bringing years of influence and admiration for all musical genres, the band created an unusual style of their own.

High Noon Kahuna is back in 2024 to present their second album, This Place is Haunted. This collection of songs captures the raw vibe of their last album, Killing Spree, while expanding on the band's diverse corners of influence. Spanning the genre sphere across Surf, Western, Deathrock, Noiserock, Punk, and Psych, these songs show HNK at their most aggressive... as well as most ethereal, spacey, and gothic.

All the songs on the album came from unrestricted jamming over the last 20 months. In fact, the very first notes and beats the three members ever played together was an instantly exciting song that is captured on this album (Brand New Day). In that time, the band has toured and played many shows, continuing to hone their unhinged live performances. This Place is Haunted is an evolution of the unique HNK sound and sees them at new creative heights.

Before entering the studio, roughly 80% of the songs were solidified, and most were played out live; the other 20% were based on free-form jams in the HNK archive and re-created on-the-fly, pseudo improv style. The band partnered with Kevin Bernsten and Developing Nations for recording, as they did with Killing Spree. His studio provided a vibe that sparked their creativity and gave them freedom to work at another level. Working with Kevin on this album was a creatively liberating experience; his knowledge, gear, recording space, and ear allowed the band to get wild.

Final mastering for This Place Is Haunted was completed by the ever-inventive James Plotkin at Plotkin Works. The album's stirring cover art was created by HNK's own drummer, Brian Goad.

Today, High Noon Kahuna and Crucial Blast Records are excited to present “Sidewalk Assassin,” the first single from This Place is Haunted. A punk rock flurry with surfy vibes and a soft gooey center - Aggressive AF with a message of positivity! The album is set for release on May 17th, 2024, on CD, cassette, and digital (vinyl TBA).

Stream "Sidewalk Assassin" Now:

This Place Is Haunted - Tracklist:

01. Atomic Sunset
02. Lamborghini
03. Prehistoric Love Letter
04. Good Night God Bless
05. The Devil’s Lettuce
06. Brand New Day
07. Midnight Moon
08. Sidewalk Assassin
09. Mystical Shit
10. Tumbleweed Nightmare
11. Flaming Dagger
12. Et Ita Factum Est

"Crucial Blast is stoked to announce that we are joining forces with longtime friends HIGH NOON KAHUNA on the release of their second album, This Place Is Haunted. Harder, darker, but also brimming with haunting melody, the Maryland band features former members of Internal Void, Vox Populi and Admiral Browning, executing an incredibly infectious mix of classic noise rock and psychedelic crunch.

The twelve songs on Haunted are on a whole new level from the band; this rumbling riff-beast brilliantly evokes everything from pummeling Am Rep abrasion, soaring Hawkwindian space rock, haunting post-punk, Dick Dale-on-acid licks, doses of massive doom-laden crush, and even wisps of classic Morricone moodiness and some hammering QOTSA-esque groove.

Easily one of the most unique bands ever to emerge from the DC/MD area, KAHUNA is weirder, heavier, and catchier than ever before, and C-BLAST is incredibly excited to bring this banger to your ears."

High Noon Kahuna:

Tim Otis: Guitar
Brian Goad: Drums
Paul Cogle: Bass / Vocals

Upcoming Live Dates:
Apr. 27 - Frederick, MD @ Olde Mother Brewing
May 23 - Asheville, NC @ The Odd
May 24 - Richmond, VA @ Another Round
May 25 - Staunton, VA @ The Brick
May 26 - Lexington, KY @ Green Lantern
May 28 - Washington, DC @ The Pie Shop
Jun. 23 - Frederick, MD @ MARYLAND DOOM FEST (Local Release Party)

Thanks to Mettle Media PR for all of the details.