Sunday 5 November 2023

Introduce Yourselves: Sunguine


What is the name of your band?

Sunguine. The word stems from “sanguine”, depicting optimistic or positive personality, especially in an apparently bad or difficult situation. It’s a reminder to be positive in this weird experience of the strange realm we live in, while the “Sun” represents the bright light in the dark.

What is the genre of music that you play?


I’d say my music fits somewhere between psychedelic rock and stoner doom while flirting with stoner jazz, covertly disguised altogether as psychedelic stoner doom.

Can you give a brief history of the band of how it came together and where it is today?

It started out as (and still is) a solo project in the late 2022 when my friend challenged me to finally start recording. She was fed up with me talking and not doing anything about it, so when I finally did it, I didn’t really liked how it turned out.

However, she was so hyped for me that I spent the following spring developing heavier and slower ideas with a new, different approach. This led me to an idea for a concept album, resulting in 86% instrumental tale spread across 7 chapters of the full length debut, “I” (“One”), recorded during the summer of 2023.

I’m pretty sure another release will see the light of day sometime in 2024. While recording the first release, I started to come up with new ideas which I’m currently reviewing and expanding, so stay tuned.


Which musical roots was crucial to direct your approach in songwriting?

I’m a guitarist first, a drummer second (and a bassist somewhere down the road). And it’s all very connected when you write all parts for each instrument.

Most of the time, I feel the guitar-wise influence of early stoner rock / stoner doom era bands with a hint of classic Wishbone Ash, Kenny Burrell and Boogaloo Joe Jones vibe.
Drum-wise - since jazz is all about the drums - my ears are drenched in anything Art Blakey or Joe Morello had for a nightcap.


What can people expect from your music?

An introspective expedition to psychotropic soundscapes. Walk the sonic trail through the scenery of Adriatic coastline, shape-shifting dunes and cosmic exploration. Stop by the scenic overlook and have a snack with heavy cream bass, crispy drums and fuzz on the side.

Where can people find you on Social Media?